Monday, March 30, 2009

Insider tip

I work in customer service. I've worked for banks, cell phone companies, Internet service providers, insurance... you name it. I'm not going to mention where I work now but I will give you a great tip.

Normally you only call customer care when something's wrong, we're used to dealing with irate people. It's reasonable you are in a bad mood, though 98% of the time you're just pissed about a fee that you KNOW applies according to your terms of service, but still you think its unfair.

Well. Here's the insider tip to help you get the most out of your call. DON'T BE A JERK! Before you grab the phone, punch a wall a few times until the blind rage fades, then call. Trust me on this one, a humble attitude will get you out of the nastiest screw-ups. Like nothing ever happened "we know it's not your fault, sir". On the other hand acting like the world is against you will get you a NO. You will ask for a supervisor and he will give you a NO. He will mail you a copy of your contract where you agreed to whatever just happened. The funniest thing is, it's probably not even a real supervisor, just another operator with a bit more experience.

No comments: