Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Letting Go

Ever since I first lay my hands on that NES controller, I knew It'd be the neatest thing to make games. In school I'd draw "levels" in my notebook and have my friends play them. When I got my first computer I started to learn programming, and as soon as I was old enough to think about a carreer I knew I wanted to be a game programmer. And so When the time came to go to college, I opted for computer sciences.

In college I learned a lot of things, like how to be a grown up. (I didnt really learn squat about game programming, though).

That was about 10 years ago. Every once in a while I catch myself daydreaming of the great game that could have been, and instead of slapping myself across the face and telling myself to go back to work, I let the little boy inside of me go on that fantastic voyage. It still makes me warm and fuzzy inside, I've just learned to let go. I'm not saying you should give up on your dreams. I just had to because of the direction life was taking me. I guess what I'm trying to say is that you should give yourself an early reality check and let go before you find yourself turning 40 and having accomplished any of your dreams.

I still have many things I want to do before I die, and I still enjoy gaming. Not just playing games, but watching them, trying to figure out what the programmers were thinking... I might pick up game-making later in life...

Why did I come up wit this topic? The creation of this blog. For about 10 years as well I've been a web design enthusiast. For the last year i've been working on a PHP page that wuld serve as my blog, but after an 8 month pause I came home to a text editor full of code I don't remember. Then I saw a friend's blogger blog and decided maybe it was time to let go of that and just use a ready-made blog system. I'm lovin' it. I feel a lot lighter now.

No comments: